Friday, March 11, 2011

The Big Reveal...

That was what was placed in all caps for Friday, March 4 on my calendar.  Other than being my wonderful Amster's birthday, Friday was matching day for residencies.  Basically, I have been on pins and needles since last May knowing that Chris desired to apply for a residency and that meant we were playing a waiting game.  If you know me, you know I hate to wait.  I like immediate answers and if I don't get them, I find a way to get them, or I freak out.  So, needless to say the past 10 months have been a humbling experience.  Through it all I learned that really I have no control over anything and when it boils down to it, that is best.  He knew what He was doing when He put Chris and I together, and about four months ago I finally allowed Him to sit in the drivers seat.  I have thoroughly enjoyed how He has navigated our ride since then.

Chris applied for and interviewed with three different residencies since Christmas time.  After each interview we would sit and chat about what were his likes and dislikes and then we came to an agreement and he submitted his matches.  We were fully at peace with the choices.  Two of them required us to pack our bags and move, one of them allowed us to stay and nest.  We had friends praying for all kinds of things, but ultimately we knew they were behind us no matter what, including our families. 

During a delicious meal at Five Guys on this past Saturday evening, I was chatting away with my mother while Chris was frantically messing with his phone (his phone stinks).  I ignored it, convincing myself he was checking ESPN or his twitter account where he strictly follows sport figures and Jackson Talburt.  However, he looked at me and asked me to take a guess of where we were matched.  Tears filled my eyes as he revealed to me he will be working at the Mount Vernon VA next year. 

While a part of me was ready to pack up and leave, I know this is all part of a perfect plan.  We have a wonderful support system set in place in Springfield; a church home, both of our parents, his high school friends, my sweet coworkers and lovely ladies...  We also have a house that we can nest in TOGETHER (we already have a to do list).  I am excited, I am happy, and I am totally content. 

Now that this is all taken care of, we've got bigger fish to fry.  Less than 99 days until wedding day.  Invitations are being designed, tent decorations are in the works, showers are occurring...  life is grand.

8 comments:

  1. I am very glad that you two will be in Springfield! Things work out for a reason! -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a huge answer to prayer! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how thrilled I am, dawg! YEEEEHAWWW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAH! I'm excited too.
    Question, what's 5 guys? I have never heard of this place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ashley that is so exciting! You will have to come visit us sometime now. Good luck with the last minute wedding plans. We need to get together again sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley and Chris, we are so excited that you have chosen to stay in Springfield. What a treat that will be for your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I was VERY happy to hear the news!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete