Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thrifty Thoughts

I've been racking my brain to think of something thrifty that I could share! I do consider myself a fairly thrifty person, however either it is so normal to me I don't think of it as thrifty or I feel like everyone does it so it isn't unique.

This week Ashley shared a thrifty way to save on curtains. Curtains are a thorn in my side. In our guest room I spent like $80 on simple white panels. No pizzaz or anything! I have always wanted curtains in my living room and needed them for our bedroom, but wanted something fun and didn't want to break the bank.

Enter the fabric store.

We have a fun place here in Springfield called the FM Store that is filled to the brim with fabrics at a very reasonable price. My mother sews (she says she no longer will for me and I need to learn, ha), so I enlisted her services for some curtains. For both rooms I spent a total of $45 I believe and I think they look smashing. For the living room there was no cutting involved, just sewing up the edges. In the bedroom my mom cut he fabric in half in order to have two for each window and not have an overwhelming amount of fabric.

Presto chango, cheap curtains that didn't break the bank and my husband actually likes.

As a bonus, the lamps were both garage sale finds that were spray painted and a new shade was added. I resold the previous shades in my moms booth which paid for the new shades. The living room lamp is some fancy brand, retail value was $250, I got it for $10. Winning!!!



Yes, I should have gotten out the fancy camera and picked up a little, but I like to keep things real folks.


Don't mind the dog and the game control thingy.


Perhaps I need to invest in a new dog bed :)


3 comments:

  1. I love that fabric! I'm trying to teach myself how to sew, I would love to have a mom who could teach me! Take your mom up on it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! LOVE!!!! And I'm with your mom... learn how to sew woman!! You'll love it:) :)
    Give sweet Henry a smooch for me and squeeze his yummy thighs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I am so glad you did that!! This has been on my To-Do list for ages. I may hit you up for tips! And I LOVE the bedroom curtains! :)

    ReplyDelete